Using vSphere 5 auto-deploy in your home lab

I was just playing around with auto-deploy and I figured I would quickly scribble down the steps required to configure it. The documentation is okay but it often refers me back and forth in the document which makes it difficult to read at times. Here is what I did to get it working. I was in doubt if I would add screenshots, but that would make this article fairly lengthy and I am sure that most of you wouldn’t need it any way. I have my complete lab virtualized at home, so this whole setup is running in VMware Workstation.

• Download vCenter Server 5
  • Download the ESXi 5.0 Offline Bundle
  • Install vCenter Server 5
  • Install Powershell 2.0 (installed it on the vCenter Server)
  • Install PowerCLI (installed it on the vCenter Server)
  • Install Auto-deploy (also located on vCenter iso) (installed it on the vCenter Server)
  • Install TFTP Server (I used Solarwinds) (installed it on the vCenter Server)
    • Click “File” and “Configure” and start the TFTP Server
    • A folder C:\TFTP-Root will be created
    • Make sure if you are running this on Windows that the Firewall is open for TFTP
  • Open up your vCenter Client
  • Go to the Home screen and click “Auto Deploy”
  • Click “Download TFTP Boot Zip”
    • I temporarily disabled IE ESC to be able to quickly download the zip file (Control Panel –> Add / Remove Programs –> Turn Windows Features On/Off –> Look for “Configure IE ESC in the Security Information section)
  • Unzip the TFTP Boot Zip file in your TFTP-Root folder
  • Copy the location of “BIOS DHCP File Name as mentioned in your Auto Deploy screen. This will be “undionly.kpxe.vmw-hardwired”.
  • Go to your DHCP Server and add the filename and the ip address of the
    • In my case this is what I added to the advanced settings in my Tomato Router/DHCP server:
      dhcp-boot=undionly.kpxe.vmw-hardwired,,192.168.1.45
    • In the case of a MS DHCP Server you will need to follow this MS KB article. (#66 and #67 should be sufficient)
  • Now it should be possible to boot your host, however you should see a screen that tells you that there no ESXi image associated yet. Now we need to do some PowerCLI magic…
  • First of all we will need to set the execution policy to “remotesigned” if you haven’t done so already, in my case I haven’t as this is a brand new installed Windows VM:
    Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned
  • Now you can open up PowerCLI and connect to your vCenter Server:
    Connect-VIServer <vcenter name>
  • Next we will need to add a software depot, this is the Offline Bundle file you downloaded at the beginning:
    Add-EsxSoftwareDepot c:\tmp\VMware-ESXi-5.0.0-469512-depot.zip
  • Now that you’ve added the depot you will need to identify the ImageProfile you wan to use. Run the following command to list the image profiles:
    Get-EsxImageProfile
  • In my case it returns the following:
    Name
    ——-
    ESXi-5.0.0-469512-no-tools ….
    ESXi-5.0.0-469512-standard ….
  • We will use the “Standard” image profile as we want to be able to install VMware Tools as well through vCenter. In order to use it we will need to define a rule. This basically tells the client which image it should pick up during the PXE Boot. No key thing with this command is the “-Pattern” as that basically defines which machines will get boot the image. In my case everything is running within VMware Workstation and the vendor will always be “VMware Virtual Platform” so I decided to use that is the identifier for this specific rule.
    New-DeployRule –Name “FirstTimeBoot” –Item “ESXi-5.0.0-469512-standard” –Pattern “model=VMware Virtual Platform”
  • This will take a while as it is unzipping and uploading the required packages. When it has successfully completed we will need to make this deploy rule active:
    Add-DeployRule -DeployRule FirstTimeBoot
  • That’s it, now the host should be able to boot up using the assigned image profile. See the screenshot below of my PXE booted ESXi host within VMware Workstation
    Using vSphere 5 auto-deploy in your home lab

Now if you would go to vCenter and check your Datacenter you will see a host appearing. This host however will still need to be configured and that is the second portion of this exercise…

What we creating here is a stateless configuration. That means we will need to use host profiles in order to configure this host correctly after reach reboot. These are the steps I took to create a host profile for my Lab hosts:

• Configure the host as needed. Don’t forget things like NTP, Storage, Networking, Scratch etc.
  • Go to Host Profiles
  • Create a New Profile from an existing host
  • Select the host you just configured
  • Give it a name that you will remember, I used “ESXiLabHostProfile”
  • After creating the host profile you will need to attach the host to the profile and check for compliancy. This test should fail as you will need to create an answer file first.
    • Right click the host and select “Update Answer File”
    • Check all settings (ip-address etc) and when finished click “update”
    • Right click the host and select “Check Answer File”, result should be “x”
    • Select the host and click “Check Compliance”, result should be “compliant”
  • Before we will create a new deploy rule we will want to add the HA depot and create a new image profile which includes the HA agent as we will want our hosts to be part of that. If you don’t add it the “new-deployrule” statement will throw a message that you will need to add it. First we will add the vSphere HA depot. The ip-address should of course be replace with the ip-address of your own vCenter server:
    Add-EsxSoftwareDepot http://192.168.1.45:80/vSphere-HA-depot
  • Now we will need to clone the ESXi Standard depot and add the HA agent to it:
    New-EsxImageProfile -CloneProfile ESXi-5.0.0-469512-standard -name “ESXiHA”
    Add-EsxSoftwarePackage -ImageProfile “ESXiHA” -SoftwarePackage vmware-fdm
  • Now we will create a new deploy rule and associate it with the just created host profile called “ESXiLabHostProfile”. We will also directly enable this new rule. Note that “HA-DRS” is the name of my cluster in this case. First we will remove the old rule to make sure we start with a clean slate:
    Remove-DeployRule -DeployRule FirstTimeBoot -delete
    Add-DeployRule -DeployRule “ProductionBootRule”
  • Now you can restart the ESXi host and it should end up in the cluster (HA-DRS) with the correct host profile (ESXiLabHostProfile) and completely configured ready for action! (Note that for the next host you will need to create the answer file as well initially for it to work correctly.)

That’s it for today… Hope it helps, I had a lot of fun exploring this cool new feature! I love it but boy do I feel like a n00b playing around with PowerCLI after having seen some of Alan‘s or Luc‘s magic. Gabe also has a nice article on this topic… check it out, worth reading!

Changelog:
Edit 1: Changed naming scheme

Comments

Thanks for posting a wonderful topic, i have one query on this. i am getting bellow error message when i am running Get-EsxImageProfile in vSphere Power CLI.

[vSphere PowerCLI] C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI> Get-
      EsxImageProfile
      The term ‘Get-EsxImageProfile’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, funct
      ion, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a
      path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
      At line:1 char:20
      + Get-EsxImageProfile <<<<
      + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Get-EsxImageProfile:String) [],
      CommandNotFoundException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Thanks in advance
      regards
      Rohit

• Dave T says

The fact that you’re using the older build may be the issue. I believe that in earlier builds you had to manually install the ImageBuilder snap-in. In most recent builds, it’s intalled by default.

In older build, you can try:
            # add-PSSnapin VMware.ImageBuilder

• BuddhaChu says

The above Add-PSSnapin comment saved me some added frustration so thanks for that. I installed the latest version PowerCLI (5.1.0-793510) on a fresh Win2K8-R2 box and the image building commands weren’t listed or available. Kinda hard to test VSphere 5.1 Autodeploy if you can create a custom image! The Add-PSSnapin comment did the trick.

2. Fred van Donk says

Thanks for the great article Duncan. I have been running vmware in workstation 7.1.4 for a long time. ESXi and everything, no problems.
      Now I tried to install ESXi 5.0 from the install ISO, not the offline bundle and it comes up with the error

I know the message is not correct as it is turned on in the BIOS and I do not experience the same error in ESXi 4.1. Did you got the same message during your installs? Do you think workstation just need an update to fully support 5.0?
      Thoughts?

Thanks,
      Fred

• Andy says

I receive a warning on the installation of ESXi 5 that says: “HARDWARE_VIRTUALIZATION WARNING: Hardware Virtualization is not a feature of the CPU, or is not enabled in the BIOS”. I checked the BIOS on my laptop (Dell M6500) to verify that virtualization is enabled, but I am wondering if the error is originating from the BIOS of the VM. A peek into the PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility of the VM shows no option to enable virtualization that I can see. Am I missing something?

I am trying to install ESXi 5 as a VM in VMware Workstation 7.1.4 (latest available build), but I don’t see ESXi 5 as a supported operating system.

I am also wondering how to simulate shared storage that would normally be configured as SAN attached storage if I were installing ESXi on bare-metal servers. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

3. Jeff Couch says

Thanks Duncan!

For others wondering how to change the -pattern in the deployment rule, just run “get-vmhostattributes -vmhost “EsxiHostname”" to get a full list of the available options.

Duncan,
      Do you have any insight into why PXE Manager was not GA’d for this role instead of Auto-Deploy? I have been using in on a lab in a laptop for switching between 4.1 and 5 and to show the power of stateless computing. The auto-deploy seems to rely on downloading 3rd party software and a lot more manipulation. I thought the PXE manager was an unbelievable tool. Thanks.

5. Joerg Bold says

Hello Duncan,

I had to delete the HA-DRS in “New-DeployRule –Name “ProductionBootRule” –Item “ESXiHA”, ESXiLabHostProfile, HA-DRS –Pattern “model=VMware Virtual Platform””. Maybe a mistake by editing the naming scheme? However, great work and have fun in Vegas.

With kind Regards,

J. Bold

6. Brian says

Trying to do the new-deployrule and add-deployrule
      I get back that they don’t exist. I installed the powercli for 5.

• says

for esxi4 you need to download the autodeploy appliance from labs.vmware.com, i tested that one as well as the plugin for esxi5, both work perfect.

7. david says

was able to get autodeploy configured and the image built. when i built it loads to booting through vmware autodeploy, loads the cache….but just hangs..

any ideas?

8. david says

Still seeing a bunch of wierd problems. When i try to do a New-DeployRule i am getting

Exception: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Method not found: CheckP
      xeProfileForProblems
      at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClie
      ntMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCal
      l)
      at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodN
      ame, Object[] parameters)
      at RbdApi.RbdService.CheckPxeProfileForProblems(ManagedObjectReference _this)

at VMware.DeployAutomation.RbdHelper.ConvertToPxeProfile(RbdClient rbdClient,
      RemoteImageProfile profileWrapper)

any ideas? im using the latest version of powercli and all. something isnt happy and im not sure what it is.

Hi Duncan.

I am using Vcenter appliance (in a workstation 7 lab), so therefore, can I install autodeploy, tftp, and powercli on another windows server vm, or do i have to use the full blown vcenter ?

regards

Imran

• says

Auto-Deploy is part of the Appliance, I am not using the appliance at the moment so cannot validate if TFTP is on there as well.

PowerCLI will need to be installed on a Windows VM indeed.

10. Mai says

I’d deployed using Workstation8 and Esxi 5.0 and using this exact instruction and its worked… Excellent instruction. Appreciate you so much. M

11. Steve says

I am also unable to download the TFTP boot zip file. The file download window shows some bytes transferred but then dosn’t progress. Using Windows 2003 so no IPv6 running.

• mee says

Duncan stated above in doc ” temporarily disabled IE ESC to be able to quickly download the zip file (Control Panel –> Add / Remove Programs –> Turn Windows Features On/Off –> Look for “Configure IE ESC in the Security Information section) “

12. T.J. Albrecht says

FYI: I tried this with the vCenter Appliance and I was successful. I skipped the following steps:
      Install Powershell 2.0 (installed it on the vCenter Server)

I installed the TFTP server and PowerCLI onto mylaptop. Everything worked as it should. I am unsure if the TFTP server is included with the vCenter Appliance. Is a command-line available for the vCenter Appliance? root/vmware did not let me in…

• T.J. Albrecht says

Interesting results:
          1. I added the VEM offline bundle to the image
          2. I added my host to the 1000v
          3. I updated my host profile
          4. I removed the AutoDeployRule
          5. I created a new AutoDeployRUle with the updated host-profile.

Upon reboot the networking seems to revert back to a standard vSwitch. It actually creates a new one called “M-switch”. I was hoping I would be able to have auto-deploy automatically place a host into the 1000v dvSwitch. I will keep troubleshooting and let you know if I get it working.

• T.J. Albrecht says

I figured out the problem. There is a field in the host profile section:

Networking configuration -> Host virtual NIC -> switch : vnic : management -> Stateless boot properties for virtual NIC

For some reason, that was set to VLAN 200, while my PXE boot environment was on the native VLAN. The host would come up, install ESXi stateless, and when it tried to apply the host profile, it put itself in VLAN 200, effectively disconnecting it from my DHCP, and losing connectivity.

It works great now!

13. Werni says

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for all these hints. Itried it and it works 99%..

How can I get the deployed hosts licensed? I have atztached a license to my Reference host. I have updated the profile, applied the profiule to the depolyed hosts, but they run in Eval mode. How can I incroporate the license in the profile?

Thanks for a hint

regards,

Werni

14. Yves Sandfort says

We set up a new vCenter Server 5.0 incl. TFTP Server and Auto Deploy Feature, being able to boot a host from it.

The only difference to your scripts is that we use physical instead of virtual ESXi

What we did is the following:

- Upload TFT Boot Image

- Add Software Depot from ESXi Offline Depot

- Create Deployment Rule for first boot (Server boot’s successfull from this Rule)

- Change settings on newly booted ESXi host

- Create Host Profile from newly created ESXi host

- Create Answer File based on new Host Profile

- Check that host is compliant with new Host Profile

- Attach vmware-fdm software package to the ESXi Image

- Create new Deployment Rule based on new software package incl. name of Cluster and Host Profile

- Remove old Deployment Rule (no longer needed)

- Check Rule Compliance

Now we reboot the host, it boots up with the newly created Image, but says the Host is not compliant.

On the Host Summary Screen we can see that the correct Host Profile is attached as well as the Image Profile.

We also checked the logs, but could not see a real reason why it does not Apply the attached host profile.

Any tip on what we missed might be helpfull, as from my understanding it should apply the host profile after the boot and reconnect is successfull.

Thanks

Yves

• Yves Sandfort says

Hi Duncan,

the server has a local SAS disk, but boots from PXE.

On the profile, it does not setup the VMKernel NIC on the distributed switch and also does not remove the VM Network Port Group on the Standard switch. Both are configured in Host Profile and setup in the Answer File.

If we set the host to maintenance mode and apply the profile manually all is fine. Once we reboot the host all config is reset, we get again the “VM Network” and the VMKernel NIC is gone again. That is why I think it simply doesn’t use the attached host profile…

Any idea????

Thanks

Yves

15. Frank Pisano says

Hi Duncan,

With AutoDeploy when adding a software depot (ie. Add-EsxSoftwareDepot c:\tmp\VMware-ESXi-5.0.0-469512-depot.zip,

then Get-EsxImageProfile and finally New-DeployRule –Name “FirstTimeBoot” –Item “ESXi-5.0.0-469512-standard” –

Pattern “model=VMware Virtual Platform”) and unzipping and uploading the packages where are the packages uploaded to? Are they uploaded into the vCenter database or somewhere else?

16. Christoph says

Will this work with Enterprise Plus licensing only? Or are lower end licenses good for auto-deploy as well?
      Thanks.

17. Sharantyr says

Hi,

I can’t find any ““Update Answer File”” button or option in my vcenter when I right click a pxe booted host ?

Is it ESX only and not ESXi ?

Thanks

18. Sharantyr says

Found it under home>management>host profiles>yourvcentername menu, check “host and clusters” tab. Not directly right click on your host in your inventory -_-

Also the host profile is not compliant but only when you edit the host profile after creation and change some values of some fields like “hostname” under dns section to “user speficied while applying the configuration”.

Could you clarify this for other users?

Thanks!

19. Sony says

Hi,

Thanks for the wonderful blog.
      However I have two questions:
      1. For “Add-ESXSoftwareDepot” cmdlet to work do I need “AutoDeploy”
      2. Are there any pre-requisites for Auto deploy installation, as am unable to install AutoDeploy.

Thanks in advance !

20. Chris says

Sorry some info was dropped in that post:

066 Boot Server
      Host Name Ip Address

067 Boot Filename
      undionly.kpxe.vmw-hardwired

21. Brian says

Duncan hope you can advise?

I have successfully got as far as
      Add-DeployRule -DeployRule “ProductionBoot”

Remove-DeployRule -DeployRule Staging -delete

Boot host

However, the host goes back to try and PXE boot to TFTP and rebuild, what am I missing as I have created the Host Profile before rebooting.

I am doing thin in preparation of VCP using VMWare Workstation.

Thanks in anticipation.

Brian

22. Steve says

Duncan, you rock. Thanks for this article, it made getting PXE and Autodeploy setup in my home lab go ubersmooth. Keep it up!

23. Tony says

i am not sure how to use the host profile in vcenter with the deployment. i keep getting a noncompliant host profile

24. Richard says

Nice Post….

Got everything pretty much good to go but noticed some interesting behaviour RE: iSCSI storage.

On rebooting an ESXi host it seems to get a brainfreeze with reattaching the iSCSI datstores so naturally it is unable to become compliant with respect to the host profile.

After many a trial and error I found out that the vNics attached to the iSCSI vmkernel ports loose connectivity to my Openfiler NAS. (Also in Workstation)

After changing the vNIC’s around and back again the host profile can update and become compliant again.

Not sure if this is a VM Worstation thing or is this an actual bug with using Auto Deploy and Host Profiles.

Hopefully I have explained myself enough otherwise I’d be more than happy to post my design and elaborate more on the issue…. trying to keep the post short and to the point.

25. Frank says

Great guide, thanks yellow-brick!

However, I have an issue. Everything is working great until I get to:

When I put in the name of the Profile on the Vcenter server, I get the following error:

New-DeployRule : 4/3/2012 1:55:22 PM New-DeployRule Object is on a different server: Infra-HostProfile

I have confirmed that is the name of the host profile, yet I cannot get aroung this error?

• Brian says

Hey I just ran into this today. You’re (were) connected to the same Vcenter server multiple times. Either disconnect or close and re-open your PowerCLI session.

26. GarethH says

@Frank, Probably obvious but ..you only need to enter “model=VMware Virtual Platform” if your ESXi host has been virtualised using vSphere or Workstation.

for example, If you are testing AutoDep on a physical server change it to “vendor=cisco” or your chosen H/W vendor.

27. Patrick says

Hi

Thanks for this article, I’m finding it very useful. Am having difficulties though. My server seems to hang just after the “Booting through VMware Autodeploy” screen (with the list of machine attributes, and the ESXi image). All looks okay but it just hangs at the line /vmw/cache…

Any ideas what could be the issue ?

many thanks in advance

28. Eugene says

Hi Duncan.

I’m using Auto Deploy in 5.1 (home lab 2 servers) and wonder if I should forget all about static ips. I used to set static for about all networking iSCSI, vMotion and the hosts.
      Seems like hard to set in Host Profiles….

IN DNS and Routing I used to name my hosts. Now they come up as localhost…can host profiles auto name hosts?

Regards

I have a question about redirecting the TFTP-Root files to a sub-directory of TFTP-Root.

In a shared environment with multiple pxe boots taking place from the same tftp server this is a critical design element for me to deploy this technology.

I have looked at the Auto Deploy documentation and I do not see any information about using a subfolder. Is there a way to specify this, for example, when creating the option 66 value on the DHCP scope?

30. Mike says

Thank you for the great walk through. I am wondering however about where you would put the servers for this in a real production environment. I always worry about the worst case of the entire datacenter losing power and me having to boot from a cold room so I don’t see how I could have this virtualized. Seems a dedicated server would be needed but I am very interested in your thoughts.

Hi!

A Dutch friend and I had some spare time this weekend, so we teamed up and built our ghetto lab in preparation for VCP and just for fun ofcourse ;) .

Our lab’s each contain 3 (whitebox) hosts. I wanted to make a setup in which I just had to add a MAC and of we go.

I followed your howto and I am able to boot the 3 hosts, until this happens:

We don’t know for sure, but we think it had to do with the fact that ESXi 5.5 does not contains the drivers for Realtek NIC’s as 5.1 did. (other people think it’s because the image is corrupt)

So we started tinkering with our “images” but we are getting the following error when we are trying to “inject” our net-r8168 drivers.

PowerCLI C:\> Add-EsxSoftwarePackage -SoftwarePackage “net-r8168″ -ImageProfile ESXiHA-ImageProfile
      Add-EsxSoftwarePackage : Cannot process argument transformation on parameter ‘SoftwarePackage’. VMware_bootbank_net-r81
      68_8.013.00-3vmw.510.0.0.799733
      At line:1 char:41
      + Add-EsxSoftwarePackage -SoftwarePackage “net-r8168″ -ImageProfile ESXiHA-ImagePr …
      + ~~~~~~~~~~~
      + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Add-EsxSoftwarePackage], ParameterBindingArgumentTransformationExcepti
      on
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentTransformationError,VMware.ImageBuilder.Commands.AddProfilePackage

We know it is a long shot, since it’s a whitebuild setup. But do you mind looking into it with us?

Thanks!

Hi Duncan,

That is really good documents. As this is my first attempt, and I have successfully implement. But I cant logged in to ESXi. I tried with default user root and password: vmware But I cant logged in.

Could you please help me.

33. Gen says

Hmm started looking into using Auto deploy within our environment and noticed the following

Note: VMware does not support the use of stateless caching when used within a HA cluster.

The sole reason why we are looking at using Auto deploy was to simplify the deployment and update process.
      IE update the repository with the new Image, reboot the hosts the new image is installed and it joins it back into the cluster again.

However if we want the resilience of stateless caching we can add it into a HA cluster is this correct or am I reading this wrong?