While playing around with vSphere 5.0 in my home lab I discovered something with regards to Host Profiles. I installed a host and created a Host Profile from that host. When I installed a new host and linked the host profile the following error would be returned (also see screenshot below) that the host was noncompliant:
Specification state absent from host: device '<datastore>' state needs to be set to 'on'
Host state doesn't match specification: device '<datastore>' needs to be reset
Specification state absent from host: device '<datastore>' Path Selection Policy needs to be set to 'VMW_PSP_FIXED'
Host state doesn't match specification: device '<datastore>' Path Selection Policy needs to be set to default for claiming SATP
After digging around I thought the issue where the ESXi installer didn’t recognize the SAS disk as a local disk and as such wouldn’t create a scratch partition and I figured this might be the same thing. I start digging and it seems to be a “similar” problem. The SAS disk is seen as a shared disk and as such the NAA identifier is stored. Now in my case each host will have a local disk and each of those disks will have a unique NAA ID which means that even if you apply your host profile it will not be compliant. After digging a bit further I bumped into a KB article (2002488) that actually describes this exact problem.
There’s a “work around” to get rid of the “compliance” alert as mentioned in the KB article:
The compliance error can be ignored if the issue is only a device ID mismatch. To avoid generating a compliance error, you can also disable the PSA and NMP profiles under Storage Configuration in the host profile as long as you do not change other PSA or NMP profile settings.
I read the article 14 times and still didn’t have a clue what they were referring to but this is how you “disable” the PSA and NMP profile for these devices:
- Right click the Host Profile and click “Enable/Disable Profile Configuration
- Unfold “Storage Configuration”
- Unfold “Pluggable Storage Architecture (PSA) …
- De-select “PSA Device Configuration”
- Unfold “Native Multi-Pathing (NMP)”
- Unfold “PSP and SATP configuration for NMP devi…”
- De-select “PSP configuration for”
- Click “OK”
This resolved the issue I had. I’ve also requested the KB article (2002488) to be updated to include these steps by the way. Hopefully it will be changed soon.