Recently I implemented ESX 3.5 with VirtualCenter 2.5. After I installed the ESX Hosts and the VirtualCenter server the customer told me that I had to change the ip-addresses of the service console. I removed the ESX hosts from the VirtualCenter server, removed the vswif of both hosts with “esxcfg-vswif -d” and created it again with the correct ip-address and subnet. I added both hosts to the cluster again and every thing seemed to work again… until I decided to rollout a template. It took over 10 minutes before the error “failed to connect to host” appeared. Also cloning a VM gave me this same error. Weird thing is that creating, removing and starting VM’s worked fine. So I checked if I was able to clone via vmkfstools from the service console, this also worked. Weird… checked the host files, resolv.conf, sysconfig/network… everything okay.
After a couple of nights sleep I found it: /etc/opt/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg contained the old ip-address in the field “hostIp”. I tried editing the file, but when ever I initiated a clone the hostIp was changed again to the old value. There was not much time left and I suspected the VirtualCenter database so I wiped it out with “vpxd.exe -b”. (Run this command on the VMware VirtualCenter server!) I created the Datacenter and Cluster again, added the hosts and started cloning… everything worked fine again. If any knows a better solution to the problem, because wiping out the VirtualCenter database isn’t my favorite solution, let me know!