I am doing some simple tests at home and I am running the vCenter Server Appliance 6.0 in Fusion. In order to get it working there are a couple of tricks I have to perform, I find myself resorting to the same blogs over and over again so I figured I would just put it all on my own blog in a single location so I can simply copy/past where needed and don’t need to hit multiple sources.
First, deployment of vCenter Server in Fusion:
- Download the vCenter Server Appliance ISO
- Mount the appliance in OSX
- Copy the file “vmware-vcsa” from the folder “vcsa”
- Add “.ova” to the file by renaming it
- Open fusion go to “File” and “Import” the OVA but don’t start it
- Edit the “vmx” file of the VM you just created
- Typically stored under Documents –> Virtual Machines
- I edit them using vi through the terminal as that is what I’ve used for the last decade or so. The path for me looks something like this:
- /Users/depping/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/vmware-vcsa-2800571.vmwarevm
- You will need to add a bunch of entries, I lifted these from William’s site of course… Thanks William
guestinfo.cis.deployment.node.type = “embedded”
guestinfo.cis.vmdir.domain-name = “vsphere.local”
guestinfo.cis.vmdir.site-name = “vsphere”
guestinfo.cis.vmdir.password = “VMware1!”
guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.addr.family = “ipv4”
guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.addr = “192.168.1.5”
guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.pnid = “192.168.1.5”
guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.prefix = “24”
guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.mode = “static”
guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.dns.servers = “192.168.1.1”
guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.gateway = “192.168.1.1”
guestinfo.cis.appliance.root.passwd = “VMware1!”
guestinfo.cis.appliance.ssh.enabled = “true”
Now I want to update vCenter Server, 6.0 in this instance, was described by Ryan Johnson recently, I tweaked it to meet my own needs
- Download the patch: https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/patch#search
- Note that this isn’t the regular ISO file, the filename should look something like this: VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-18.104.22.16800-3018521-patch-FP.iso (6.0U1)
- Mount the ISO through Fusion
- SSH in to the vCenter Server:
- Now from the command run the “software-packages” command and let it use the ISO you just mounted
- software-packages install –iso –acceptEulas
- This upgrade will take a couple of minutes usually, in my case it took about 7 minutes to complete, next you will need to reboot the vCenter Server:
- shutdown reboot -r updates
That’s it… easy right.
just a small correction. After software-packages stage –iso –acceptEulas you have to do software-packages install –staged –acceptEulas or else use software-packages install –iso –acceptEulas.
Duncan Epping says
good point, I used the install but forgot to edit the text. Thanks!
Do you have to start with the GA iso or could you start from 6.0u1?
Duncan Epping says
You can start from U1… I just wanted to have multiple steps documented hence I started at 6.0 and wanted to test an upgrade.