It has been a year since the last version. This weekend Rob de Vey finally released RVTools 3.7. With over 400.000 downloads so far, this is for sure the most used free health check tool that exists. And there is a good reason for it, it is most definitely also one of the bests tools that can provide valuable insights. I’ve personally been using it since the very first version and have discovered a bunch of potential problems at customers sites. Make sure to follow RVTools on twitter for any updates.
Version 3.7 (March, 2015)
- VI SDK reference changed from 5.0 to 5.5
- Extended the timeout value from 10 to 20 minutes for really big environments
- New field VM Folder on vCPU, vMemory, vDisk, vPartition, vNetwork, vFloppy, vCD, vSnapshot and vTools tabpages
- On vDisk tabpage new Storage IO Allocation Information
- On vHost tabpage new fields: service tag (serial #) and OEM specific string
- On vNic tabpage new field: Name of (distributed) virtual switch
- On vMultipath tabpage added multipath info for path 5, 6, 7 and 8
- On vHealth tabpage new health check: Multipath operational state
- On vHealth tabpage new health check: Virtual machine consolidation needed check
- On vInfo tabpage new fields: boot options, firmware and Scheduled Hardware Upgrade Info
- On statusbar last refresh date time stamp
- On vHealth tabpage: Search datastore errors are now visible as health messages
- You can now export the csv files separately from the command line interface (just like the xls export)
- You can now set a auto refresh data interval in the preferences dialog box
- All datetime columns are now formatted as yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss
- The export dir / filenames now have a formated datetime stamp yyyy-mm-dd_hh:mm:ss
- Bug fix: on dvPort tabpage not all networks are displayed
- Overall improved debug information
works fine even in really big environment with 100+ hosts .Problem comes when you want to export the report.It take ages
Never noticed export issues personally. I have over 100 hosts…
Apart of taking approx 20min, if you by mistake click on RVTools while export is ongoing usually crashes.
a really BIG environment?
100+ host looks small to you ?
Any figure out how to download the latest? Register/download page isn’t working for me.
Rob Wilderman says
You know I really need is to be able to merge Disk and Partition, and then somehow pull in the Windows Volume name, so that I have the Hard Disk Number the Drive Letter and the Volume Name all in a row.
If I could just line up disk with partition automagically instead of manually, it would be a lot better for storage tier selection reviews.