Awesome appliance, vCenter Support Assistant

Today an awesome appliance called the vCenter Support Assistant was made available to the world. I have seen some screenshots and a demo and feel that this appliance is a MUST HAVE for anyone who files Support Requests. Just the fact that you can do that from a single interface, which also allows you to upload the support bundle just makes life a whole lot easier.

vCenter Support Assistant

Ryan Johnson wrote an excellent article on this topic… and I am going to steal his thunder so I suggest you head over to the VMware TAM Program blog (open to everyone) and read up on this excellent Appliance.

Comments

1. Phil says

It is indeed an appliance that you deploy and then utilize a plugin for vCenter to use it. I was involved in the beta program and really enjoyed the functionality of this product. I’m glad to see it so quickly became available outside of beta. I urge everyone to get this as it makes creating cases and uploading logs a breeze.

I know what I’m doing Monday morning. This can be extremely helpful. I wonder how other companies will react. I wouldn’t be so agreeable to a virtual appliance if it wasn’t vmware . Cool stuff.

3. YB says

any idea why I would receive the following when launching the plugin?

http error 404
      problem accessing /ui/Main.html. Reason:
      Not Found

• Dag Kvello says

I’m getting the same “Problem accessing /ui/Main.html”

It’s a brand new, first time in a new, clean vCenter.

• YB says

I got it working in the end. It seems you need DHCP working for the appliance to get an IP during the initial install. I’m pretty sure that was the problem.

• Steve says

So, what are you supposed to do if you need to deploy in an environment without DHCP? I guess I need to open an SR.

• YB says

My environment, or more specifically the data center network segment does not have dhcp at all. i created the scope just for this purpose and gave it a block of 5 addresses, and then disable the whole scope after the fact.

4. Sam says

Hi Duncan are the logs being saved within the VC or on the Virtual appliance .Jus so that I do not have any space constraint on the VC.