ESXi 5: Suppressing the local/remote shell warning

On twitter today Duco asked how to disable esxi shell warning (or SSH) for vSphere 5.0. I knew it was possible so I dug it up. This is the warning Duco is referring to for those who are not familiar with it: “SSH for the host has been enabled” or “ESXi shell for the host has been enabled”. I guess the “exclamation” mark on your host kind of leaves a bad taste.

disable esxi shell warning

Now suppressing it is fairly simple. Go to your host, click the configuration tab, click “advanced settings”, go to UserVars” and scroll all the way down to “UserVars.SuppressShellWarning” change the value from 0 to 1. Simple huh!

disable esxi shell warning

Yes I know most of you probably don’t have access yet, but this is one of those little things that will come in handy at some point.

Comments

1. Duco Jaspars says

For scripted installs just set

/adv/UserVars/SuppressShellWarning = “1″

on the host

2. Greg says

I guess it depends too on you SOE. I know some customers who refuse (don’t get me started) to enables SSH/Console/Shell access to the hosts. In the event that someone turns this on then you’d actually want that alert. I personally love the shell. It makes more sense in a lab and the warning annoys me more than anything. So I always turn it off.

3. Ram says

How to get rid of configuration issue for these 2 below:

1. Esx shell for the host has been enabled
      2. SSH for the host has been enabled

I am running ESXi5. Testing out the product. I did enable Shell and SSH using F2 customize system on the host. My setup is HOME LAB running 2 physical ESXi5 and 2 virtual ESXi5.

Appreciate your help.

4. Luca says

Excellent Tip! for all those setting up vSphere5 Autodeploy with a ks.cfg script (because we don’t all work on systems with Enterprise Plus licenses{re:host profiles}) here is the script entry:
      “esxcli system settings advanced set -o /UserVars/SuppressShellWarning -i 1″

5. Kyle says

Duncan, I don’t see a way to save this in Host Profiles. I am using Auto Deploy and Host Profiles, how can I make this “stick”?

6. Kyle says

Is it not best to stop the SSH and ESXi Shell services and make them manual than suppressing the alert that tells you there is a potential security breach on your host?

8. Craig Thompson says

PowerCLI:

get-vmhost | Set-VMHostAdvancedConfiguration -Name UserVars.SuppressShellWarning -Value 1

Thanks!!!

9. Steve Zio says

Ok but what if we actually want to get an email alert or have it send a trap when this is turned on. I can’t seem to find that anywhere.