Today I was implementing Site Recovery Manager with a colleague(Thanks Andy!!). During the configuration of the HP EVA SRA(Storage Replication Adapter) we received the following error:
discoverLuns script failed to execute properly
The error indicates that that the first part of the SRA configuration “discoverArrays” worked but when discovering the LUN’s and it’s replica’s it bailed out(23%). So after checking the config files and log files we decided to run the scriptfile, that the SRA uses, manually and see what happens.
First we created an XML file which feeds the script. The XML file contained the following, which can be copied from the SRM Log files:
<?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”ISO-8859-1″?>
<Name>HP StorageWorks EVA Virtualization Adapter</Name>
Now we were able to run the script with the XML file as input:
perl command.pl < file.xml
In our case running the script manually with the XML file as input didn’t return an error. This gave us the idea that it might be account or permissions related. During the configuration of the SRA we entered domain credentials, which were the same as the account being used during the manual run of the script. So it wasn’t the SRA account that was causing these problems.
After diving into the configuration we stumbled upon the SRM Service. The SRM service was started with a Local System account. We decided to change the account used for the Service from “Local” to a domain account… and indeed problem solved.
One would expect this to be part of the SRA documentation, but it isn’t. We contacted VMware Support and they had the same configuration running in their test environment except for the fact that they weren’t using AD authentication. In their case the Local System account just worked fine.
I’ve emailed Support all the log files and according to them our suspicion was correct. It seems to be related to the HP EVA SRA. The HP SRA seems to use the wrong account for authentication at one point during the script. Next up: Contact HP Support and let’s see if they can a) fix this or b) update their documentation.