I have been testing with Virtual Reality apps within a VM for the past few days and I am leveraging NVIDIA vGPU technology on vSphere 6.7 U3. I was running into some undesired behavior and was pointed to the fact that this could be due to the frame rate being limited by default (Thank Ben!). I first checked the head-mounted display to see at what kind of frame rate it was running, by leveraging “adbLink” (for Mac) and the logcat command I could see the current frame rate hovering between 55-60. For virtual reality apps that leads to problems when moving your head from left to right as you will see black screens. For the Quest, for those wanting to play around with it as well, I used the following command to list the current frame rate for the NVIDIA CloudXR application (note that this is specific to this app) and “-s” filters for the keyword “VrApi”:
logcat -s VrApi
The result will be a full string, but the important bit is the following:
I was digging through the NVIDIA documentation and it mentioned that if you used the Best Effort scheduler a frame rate limit would be applied. I wanted to test with the different schedulers anyway so I switched over to the Equal Share scheduler, which solved the problems listed above as it indeed disabled the frame rate limit. I could see the frame rate going up between 70 and 72. Of course, I also wanted to validate the “best effort” scheduler with frame rate limit disabled, I did this by adding an advanced setting to the VM:
This also resulted in a better experience, and again the frame rate going up to 70-72.