Changes: I am joining VMware R&D!

I just wanted to let all of you know that I have decided to take on a new challenge within VMware. Per December 1st I will be joining the R&D organization as part of Integration Engineering. In this team I will be providing operational and architectural feedback on our products to engineering and I will be exploring new possibilities with our products. Needless to say I am very excited about it!

I want to thank my management (Kaushik Banerjee and Bogomil Balkansky) for supporting my move and supporting me the last two years within Technical Marketing. I also want to thank all of my Technical Marketing friends for the fun projects we worked on together.

I am looking forward to getting started within Integration Engineering, and I am thankful for this awesome opportunity. I have been saying this at every single session I presented, but just as a reminder, if you have feedback around products / features / work flows / operational efficiency, don’t hesitate to let me know.

Comments

Congratulations, I’m sure you will excel in that new role as well.

Where’s the “Like” button on this post ;-)

2. Jane Rimmer says

Congratulations Duncan, but I hope this move will still allow you to be public facing and not shut behind closed doors!

Congratulations, Duncan! I’m sure that Michael White and cohorts in Integration Engineering are excited to have you on their team. Best of luck in the new role!

4. Mario Lenz says

Hi Duncan,

Since you “will be providing operational and architectural feedback on our products to engineering”, please tell them to make SSO highly available out-of-the-box. We were using AD directly which is highly available and now we have to deal with load balancers and stuff.

SSO instances should sync automatically. When an SSO instance fails, vCenter etc. should just use another one.

Oh, and I’d like to see a VCSA that doesn’t need a separate database and is still fully supported for large, productive environments. You know, like the vCOps appliance.

cu

Mario

Congrats Duncan!

This sentence really got my attention:
      “if you have feedback around products / features / work flows / operational efficiency, don’t hesitate to let me know.”

So sorry I missed out on getting to chat with you at VMworld 2012, but did get to see you presentation, and wanted to so bad to share some feedback I’ve collected over the last 18 months of blogging, but never had a chance. And just don’t seem to meet the right VMware folks at my local VMUG meetings.

My site’s articles are largely geared to home lab builder/enthusiasts, like myself. If you ever want to collect more details about ESXi 5.1 and shortcomings with USB 3.0, VMDirectPath, and SSD RAID caching, by all means, I could put together quite a list of my site visitor’s comments, and my own take.

Let me know if any of this interests you, and if so, what is your favored method for me to contact you. Thank you!

Congrats Duncan, well deserved move. Hope to continue working with you in the future in your new role.

Hopefully some more awesome times and chicken feet ahead.

7. Stein says

Congrats Duncan and good luck! Hope still to meet you around VMworld and other events around the world.

cheers//stein

8. Steve Ballmer says

CONGRATS!

Can we get VMWARE to fix VM rename when moving between Datastores that Storage DRS broke?

Congrats Duncan. I am sure we will start seeing some of those most requested features/enhancements coming in the next release of vSphere. Be ready to be bugged & buzzed!

Enjoy the new challenge bro!

Regards,