For those like me who would like to check ESXi 3.5 update 2 but don’t want to install on a local harddisk. Here’s a good pdf about how to install it on a USB memory key. It’s fairly easy and I just booted my IBM X61 laptop with ESXi.
- First get the following tools: 7-Zip(Free), WinImage(Demo)
- Download the ESXi ISO
- Open the ISO with 7-Zip
- Extract “install.tgz”
- Open “install.tgz” with 7-Zip
- Click on “install.tar”
- Browse to “usr\lib\vmware\installer\”
- Open “VMware-VMvisor-big-3.5.0_Update_2-103909.i386.dd.bz2”
- Extract “VMware-VMvisor-big-3.5.0_Update_2-103909.i386.dd”
- Open WinImage and go to Disk, click on “Restore Virtual Harddisk Image on physical drive”
- Select a physical drive
- Select “VMware-VMvisor-big-3.5.0_Update_2-103909.i386.dd”
- And click “yes” to write the DD image to the USB Disk
Done! For a more detailed procedure check the pdf above, it also includes screenshots!