I had a question about a limit a customer was hitting with the VM notes using the vSphere (H5) Client. They noticed that whenever they got around ~260 or so characters, they could not add any characters beyond that unless they deleted some. After talking to an engineer within VMware I found out that this is indeed the limit for the vSphere Client today. Through the API, and of course also PowerCLI, you can go beyond the 255 if needed. Also with the Web Client you could do this. If you are hitting this issue, please be aware that it is a known issue and VMware is looking to resolve it hopefully soon.
What happened to MaxCostPerEsx41DS? It doesn’t seem to work in vSphere 6.x?
Today I received a question which also caught me by surprise, someone updated from vSphere 5.0 and he noticed that when doing an SDRS Maintenance Mode that the setting MaxCostPerEsx41DS did not work. This setting actually limits the number of active SvMotions on a single datastore. You can imagine that this can be desired when you are “limited” in terms of performance. I was a bit surprised as I had not heard that these settings changed at all. Also, a quick search on internal pages and externally did not deliver any results. After a discussion with some support folks and some more digging, I found a reference to a naming change. Not surprising I guess, but as per vSphere 6.0 the setting is called MaxCostPerEsx6xDS. So if you would like to limit the number of SvMotion’s active at the same time, please note the change in names.
For more background on this topic I would like to refer to Frank’s excellent blog on this topic here.
vSphere 6.5 and limits, do they still apply to SvMotion?
I had a question this week and I thought I wrote about this before but apparently, I did not. Hopefully by now most of you the I/O scheduler has changed over the past couple of years. Within ESXi, we moved to a new scheduler, which often is referred to as mClock. This new scheduler, and a new version of SIOC (storage i/o control) also resulted in some behavioral changes. Some which may be obvious, others which are not. I want to explicitly point out two things which I have discussed in the past which changed with vSphere 6.5 (and 6.7 as such) and both are around the use of limits.
First of all: Limits and SvMotion. In the past when a limit was applied to a VM, this would also artificially limit SvMotion. As of vSphere 6.5 (may apply to 6.0 as well but I have not verified this) this is no longer the case. Starting vSphere 6.0 the I/O scheduler creates a queue for every file on the file system (VMFS), this to avoid for instance a VM stalling other types (metadata) of IO. The queues are called SchedQ and briefly described by Cormac Hogan here. Of course, there’s a lot more to it than Cormac or I discuss here, but I am not sure how much I can share so I am not going to go there. Either way, if you were used to limits being applied to SvMotion as well you are warned… this is no longer the case.
Secondly, the normalization of I/Os changed with limits. In the past when a limit was applied IOs were normalized at 32KB, meaning that a 64KB I/O would count as 2 I/Os and a 4KB I/O would count as 1. This was confusing for a lot of people and as of vSphere 6.5 this is no longer the case. When you place a limit of 100 IOPS the VMDKs will be limited at 100 IOPS, regardless of the I/O size. This, by the way, was documented here on storagehub, not sure though how many people realized this.