- Rapidly create new multi-server software configurations (services)
- Monitor resource usage on a per-service, per-stage and per-instance basis
- Easily perform operations on a complete service (e.g. cloning, deploying, archiving, etc.)
- Marshall changes across the service lifecycle, interacting with external process management/workflow system to ensure compliance with service transition policies
- Maintain an archive of past service configurations supporting compliance and recovery operations
- Maintain an auditable history of software configuration changes
- Manage storage behavior on a per-stage basis to maximize storage efficiency
- Control access to services on a per-service, per-stage and per-instance basis
- Inherit then deploy services to resource pools created within VMware VirtualCenter
On a regular basis I noticed that people forget to monitor the free diskspace of their VMFS volumes. I created a script that can easily be scheduled with crontab and mailed with smtp_send. You can send it as an html based email if you setup MIME correctly. (For more info on how to set this up, check this blog) The script creates an html file with a table in which the necessary info is dumped, if a VMFS volume has less than 10% free space that specific line will be yellow and if it’s less than 5% than that line will be red… [Read more…] about Checking the diskspace on your VMFS volumes
The patch for ESX 3i fixes the following:
- ESX Server 3i hosts using more than two processor sockets cannot be licensed when using host-based licensing.
- VMware Virtual Center does not properly record the number of processors on Dual-Core Intel Xeon processor 7200 series based hosts.
- An issue with the BCM5709 firmware where ping requests sometimes fail after loading and unloading the bnx2 driver.
- An issue with the bnx2 driver where a device using the bnx2 driver fails to connect to the a 100 Mbps network during the network autonegotiation period after system boot.
The patches for ESX 3.5 contain the following:
- Update to the bnx2 Driver
- Security Update to the Samba Package
- Security Update to the util-linux Package
- Security Update to the Perl Package
- Security Update to the openssl Package
- Daylight Saving Time Update
- vmkernel-vmnix Update for the bnx2 Driver
- Intel Xeon Processor 7200 Series Based Servers Licensing Issues
- Multi-processor Licensing Issues, VMotion Assert Failure
I’m glad VMware released this fixes, now I can finally test the Update Manager for my ESX Hosts.