One of the upcoming blogs which I really enjoy reading is Arent Consulting by Tom Arentsen. I know Tom for a while as I have been involved with some of his projects and he really knows what he is talking about and is a nice guy. I just noticed his series of articles on the PXE Manager fling and felt that it deserved more attention than it has been getting so far.
PXE Manager is a great fling which enables enables ESXi host state (firmware) management and provisioning. It is probably my favorite fling and I most definitely recommend reading the following articles to get a better understanding of how it works and how it can help you migrating to ESXi or simplifying your ESXi environment!
- PXE Manager Part 0 – Introduction
- PXE Manager Part I – PXE Manager Installation
- PXE Manager Part II – PXE Agent Installation
- PXE Manager Part III – Configuration of PXE Manager
- PXE Manager Part IV – Add a driver into the ESXi image (oem.tgz)
- PXE Manager Part V – Add a Stateful ESXi Host
- PXE Manager Part VI – How does it work
If you have some spare time on your hands, read the article and play around with the Fling.