I’ve posted an overview of my homelab a while back and it changed a bit over the course of the last couple of months so I wanted to do an update of the article. Let me disclose first that Drobo was kind enough to provide me with a test-unit. Thanks Drobo!
My Workstation which runs Windows 7 with VMware Workstation on top of it. The most important change is the addition of an SSD drive. I ran two nice Seagate Cheetah 15k SAS drives in RAID-0 for a while, but started to get annoyed by the ticking sound these drives produce. It’s not a defect it is part of the mechanism, but very annoying background noise.
And another substantial change is the lab storage. I used to run on two Iomega IX4’s. Although these are very cool devices unfortunately they are “limited” to four drives and I was looking for some more capabilities to extend some of the tests I am conducting. I just received a brand new Drobo B800i with 6 x 7.2k Sata drives. Which means I have two slots left which I might just fill up with SSD for the sake of it.
- Drobo B800i (new)
- 6 x Western Digital 7.2k Drive
If I would give one tip though to the Drobo folks, make the dashboard available over http/https rather than a separate utility. Hopefully I can do some performance testing next week or the week after when I have some more time on my hands.