As, to my surprise, I still daily have 300/400 unique views on my article about how to enable SSH on ESXi 3.x I figured people would be interested in knowing how to enable it on ESXi 4.1. SSH is part of the TSM (Tech Support Mode) functionality. There are two different kind of Tech Support Modes:
- Local Tech Support (Commandline access)
- Remote Tech Support (SSH)
Enabling either of the two is really simple:
- Open the ESXi console
- Login(F2) and go to “Troubleshooting Options“
- Now you will see options called “Tech Support”, hit “enter” on either Remote Tech Support (SSH) or Local Tech Support
You could of course also enable it through the vSphere Client:
- Select the host and click the Configuration tab.
- Click Security profile > Properties.
- Click Local Tech Support or Remote Tech Support (SSH) and click Options.
- Choose the desired startup policy and click Start, then click OK.
- Verify that the daemon selected in step 3 shows as running in the Services Properties window.