oSo there have been a couple of major and innovative features and visions released over the last two days. But that’s not where it ends. The official VMworld hasn’t even begun yet and here’s the next announcement: VMware View.
So what will be announced today: VMware View Composer, VMware Offline Desktop and Client Virtualization which all are directly related to VDI.
VMware View Composer – Advanced image management for virtual desktops allows you to:
- Reduce storage cost and management by up to 90 percent
- Reduce desktop provisioning from 15 minutes to just seconds
- Manage hundreds of desktops from a single central image, retaining user settings when updating or patching service packs, application updates or even OS upgrades
- Roll back instantaneously, enabling customers to streamline management and guarantee that all user systems are up to date
- Reduce the number of images to manage
VMware Offline Desktop – Access virtual desktops whether online or offline to:
- Backup critical user data and applications for remote employees
- Create transparent user environments on the road or in the office
- Increase user productivity while decreasing management complexity and risks
- Harness local compute power for a superior PC-like end user experience while maintaining data back ups and settings
VMware Client Virtualization – With virtualization for laptops and desktops PCs you can:
- Reduce the number of PC images with hardware independent virtual desktops that run on each PC
- Provide centralized management of VDI users and virtual client users from the same management console
- Enable users to take advantage of local PC hardware for superior user experience and offline usage
So what more can I say than just wow… and again everything resolves around easier management, automation and reductions in resource needs… And indeed VMware View is what used to be VMware VDI.
update: you can find the formal announcement here.